Medical Student Feedback Policy
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Medical Student Education
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Senior Associate Dean for Medical Student Education
- LCME 8.5 Medical Student Feedback: In evaluating medical education program quality, a medical school has formal processes in place to collect and consider medical student evaluations of their courses, clerkships, and teachers, and other relevant information.
- Beginning with the Class of 2025, all students are required to complete every end-of-course (i.e., course, clerkship, selective) evaluation per the directives and deadlines in the course syllabus.
- Beginning with the Class of 2025, all students are required to complete the annual IUSM Student Success Surveys (S3).
- Evaluation and survey data are de-identified and reported in aggregate to the respective stakeholder groups to inform education program quality improvement.
Reason for Policy
The feedback that IUSM receives from students is vital to the continuous quality improvement process for the curriculum, learning environment, and student experience. Much of this feedback is obtained through student evaluations administered at the end-of-course and clerkship rotations, as well as through the annual IUSM Student Success Surveys (S3). In order to gather effective and comprehensive student feedback, it is important to hear from all students on all campuses for every evaluation/survey.
- Educational Affairs Data Analytics (EDA) administers and monitors completion of end-of-course evaluations for every required course (i.e., courses, clerkships, and selectives).
- Students complete end-of-course evaluations per course syllabi directives and deadlines.
- Educational Affairs Data Analytics (EDA) administers and monitors completion of the annual IUSM Student Success Surveys (S3).
- Students complete the S3 per the stated deadline.
- EDA informs the Associate Dean for Academic Records and Promotion and the Office of the Registrar of student compliance.
- Office of the Registrar releases course grades to compliant students (see Timelines of Grades Policy).
- Students who fail to complete an evaluation/survey by the deadline receive a placeholder grade of Incomplete (see Grade Policy for Phase 1 Courses Grade Policy for Courses, Clerkships and Electives in Phases 2 and 3).
- Students must complete the evaluation/survey to remove the Incomplete and enable the final course grade to appear on the official transcript.
Students must have the Incomplete replaced with a final grade on the transcript to proceed to the next year of study. The Associate Dean for Academic Records and Promotion may refer chronically noncompliant students to the Student Promotions Committee (see Guidelines for Promotions, Suspension, Dismissal, and Withdrawal).
- New policy created and placed into the policy template. Policy effective date 01 August 2021 for the Class of 2025 and subsequent classes.
- Policy approved by MSE curriculum leadership 12 July 2021.
- Policy approved by the Curriculum Council Steering Committee 20 July 2021.
- Policy published to the policy portal 02 August 2021.