USMLE Exam Requirements Policy
About This Policy
- Effective Date:
- Date of Last Review/Update:
- Responsible University Office:
- Medical Student Education
- Responsible University Administrator:
- Senior Associate Dean for Medical Student Education
- Indiana State Statutory Code dictates that each United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) be passed with a maximum of three attempts to pass each portion (Step) of the exam to qualify for licensure (844 IAC 4-4.5-12).
- Attainment of a medical degree from IUSM requires USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge examinations be passed to qualify for graduation (see Requirements to Graduate).
- As such, IUSM students are permitted a maximum of three attempts to pass each portion (Step) of the exam.
- Students who fail a portion (Step) of the USMLE three (3) times are referred to the Student Promotions Committee (SPC) for dismissal (see Guidelines for Promotion, Suspension, Dismissal, or Withdrawal).
- Medical Student Education provides students with resources to guide and support their success (see Step1 Guide; Step 2 CK Guide).
- Students follow the guides and timelines for when exams must be taken (see Procedures).
Reason for Policy
To outline the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) passing requirements for licensure by the state of Indiana, or other state licensing boards, and graduation from the IU School of Medicine.
- Students must take the USMLE Step 1 before beginning Phase 2 clerkships/electives.
- Students who do not pass Step 1 are generally permitted to complete the clerkship/elective in which they are enrolled, then must receive a passing score on Step 1 prior to starting another clerkship/elective.
- Students must take the USMLE Step 2 CK at least four (4) weeks before the date that ERAS opens for student access (see annual ERAS timeline for specific dates).
- Students who do not pass Step 2 CK are generally permitted to complete the clerkship/elective in which they are enrolled.
- The Student Promotions Committee reviews the complete academic records of students who do not pass any portion (Step) of the exam.
- Students must obtain prior approval from Medical Student Education to delay taking Step 1 by one month. (see Step 1 Guide). Extended delays require approval from the Student Promotions Committee. Students who delay Step 2 past the deadline will be contacted by Medical Student Education and may be referred to the Student Promotions Committee.
Students who do not pass the USMLE Step exams may jeopardize their ability to meet the IUSM graduation requirements and/or obtain a medical license from the state of Indiana. Failures of either exam will require review by the School’s Student Promotions Committee.
- Replaces IUSM Policy Statement on USMLE Assessment.
- edu-emr-0011 first policy draft 09 July 2021.
- Approved by Medical Student Education Leadership 11 August 2021.
- Approved by Curriculum Council Steering Committee 15 February 2022.
- Uploaded to IUSM Policy Library 16 February 2022.